Monday, November 22, 2010

MLS Cup 2010

I went into the weekend thinking, meh. Whatever, really.

I would be one of those people you would call a TFC fan, but not an MLS fan. I only cared about MLS in as much as it is a delivery system for my masochistic love. And I certainly understand the concept of being a league fan, as I am a fan of the NFL (and Dolphins) and the NBA (no real allegiance, yet) as well as the EPL (MCFC).
But something happened at the Supporters Summit that changed my mind. Changed my life, really.

On Friday night I went to the Football Factory expecting to see mostly my RPB brethren with a smattering of Rapids and FC Dallas fans. Wow, was I wrong. First people I meet are Rey & Thomas, from Chivas USA.
These guys are awesome fun, goat-lovers, yes. But really fun. Then Sam from KC, sporting the new gear (pun intended). Abe from the Portland Timber Army, not even in the league yet. Plus guys from the Galaxy, RSL, Whitecaps, NYRB, DC United's Sleeping Eagles.
Every team was represented I hear. Even Montreal and Columbus sent someone. A class event.
The whole weekend unfurled the same way, with people partying like it's Super Bowl weekend, and then it hit me.
This is better. These are supporters, with passion. Where else can you crack an MLS-related joke and have people get it.
I was impressed. And I hope the neutral site concept continues, I know I'll be travelling next year.
The game itself was a snoozer, minus the last 3 minutes. But I got home post 3AM 3 nights in a row, proof of fun.

Well played MLS, and Boris and the rest of the Supporters Summit Organizing committee. I'm a convert and others felt the same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment